Tuesday, February 10, 2009

JRA


So a few days ago I heard from the living room what sounded like a balloon popping.  I didn't think too much of it but when I got my road bike down this morning to go for a spin I saw that it was indeed my rear tire that went kablooey (I don't even know why!). I only had one spare so I figured it wouldn't be good to ride without a spare tube (note to self always have and carry at least 2 spare tubes).  So I decided to just pump up the Chumba and roll out on that.  It was nice getting to hit some of the trails in Talbert park off the side of the bike path because I usually can't hit the dirt since I'm on the road bike so I tried to look on the bright side of things in that way.  Then as I was on route home coming back onto Warner off the bike path I went off a curb and I heard a pop and saw a bunch of bolts flying in the air.  Gulp.  Looking down I notice that the bolt holding the front of the rear shock to the frame busted and with the force of the shock it busted the frame mounts also (see picture above).  Wow.  Of all the rides - no big air - no crazy downhill - just - a curb.  JRA - Just Riding Along.  Crazy.  Anyways, so then again looking on the bright side I figure it's probably best that it didn't happen on some trail ride (like Noble that we are doing this weekend!) where I wouldn't be able to ride out.  So I rode the rest of the way home without sitting, in hopes that I wouldn't bust it up anymore - man that's a good arm workout!  Turns out it would cost probably about as much to fix as a new frame will be so I think it's time to say goodbye Mamba and hello XCL.

No comments: